SaaS ecommerce platforms such as Shopify and BigCommerce are becoming increasingly popular with ecommerce businesses. Why? SaaS platforms offer flexibility, security, easy integration with other apps, and a quality user experience.
If you’re yet to make the move to a SaaS ecommerce platform, we’d encourage you to at least consider making the switch. We believe that’s where the future of ecommerce is heading.
But first, we’ll bring you up to speed with all things SaaS.
What is SaaS?
SaaS stands for Software-as-a-Service. It’s a software distribution model where a third-party provider hosts the software and makes it available to users over the internet.
For example, Shopify and BigCommerce are cloud-based SaaS platforms that you can access via your web browser. You don’t need to download any special software to your computer or enlist a private hosting company.
The SaaS provider is also responsible for things such as security, compliance, performance, and maintenance.
Why SaaS makes sense for ecommerce
- Accessibility. You can access the SaaS platform from anywhere, anytime, as it’s based on the cloud and not linked to one specific computer.
- Affordability and predictability. Most SaaS platforms charge an inclusive monthly subscription fee. You’ll know exactly what the costs will be so you can budget accordingly. With open-source platforms, you have to manage hosting, security updates, and software updates independently, which often involves contracting to several suppliers. Costs can quickly add up and vary from month-to-month. Many ecommerce businesses prefer the predictability of SaaS platforms.
- Ready-to-go. SaaS platforms offer out-of-the-box solutions that are quick to set up, meaning you could create a basic online shop in a matter of hours if you wanted. If you’re after something more complex, these basic out-of-the-box solutions serve as a good starting point.
- Reliability. The SaaS provider takes care of maintenance and security, such as fixing software bugs and protecting your website against threats. This means everything runs smoothly and at top speed. There is also less risk of you unintentionally breaking your site.
- Compliance. There are a lot of compliance boxes to tick when you’re running an ecommerce business, and SaaS platforms take care of a lot of them. SaaS providers keep up-to-date with common compliance requirements on your behalf.
- Scalability. SaaS platforms have long been used by small ecommerce businesses, but thanks to recent improvements they are now more than capable of serving enterprise-level ecommerce businesses. A good SaaS platform will grow with your business and allow you to unlock new features as you expand.
- Peace of mind. With everything taken care of, you can focus on what you do best: running your ecommerce business. You don’t need to create a website department or learn how to speak ‘web’. SaaS platforms are intuitive and user-friendly by design. And if you don’t understand something, they usually offer extremely helpful customer support.
Our favourite SaaS ecommerce platforms
- Shopify – Popular, pretty, and with proven capability. Shopify ticks all the right boxes.
- Shopify Plus – All the features you need for enterprise ecommerce.
- BigCommerce – Easy-to-use, feature-rich, and ideal for B2Bs and big enterprises.
Ready to make the switch to SaaS?
The thought of changing ecommerce platforms can be daunting, but we promise: it’s much easier than you think. We help businesses do this every day and the admin is well worth the results. We believe SaaS is the future of ecommerce, so why delay the inevitable? Get in touch today to learn more about making the switch.